When loss hits you, in the form of a breakup, betrayal, or death, it usually is blindsiding. You didn't see it coming, and even if you did, you still didn't really see it.
This unexpected loss shakes up your whole world. It changes your future forever. And it’s not a welcome change.
Initially of course the shock cannot be digested. The brain simply cannot comprehend the sudden change and integrate it into reality. But over time, as each day goes by and the loss is still present, the painful reality starts to sink in, the dread is overwhelming. They say the next step is denial and bargaining. All of this is there to protect you from the painful feelings. It’s natural.
But when those initial stages are passed through, a doorway opens into the transformational process, because this is when the emotions start to flow. These emotions are not pleasant, pain and anger expressed can offer temporary relief, but they also tear through your illusions and sense of control.
When you first start to feel the pain, it seems so much bigger than you can handle. And truly, it might be. Your whole world is changing. This is why you need community to grieve with you. Grief is a force of nature, an alchemical fire that will rebirth you if you let it. In many earth honoring cultures, and probably the culture that is back there in your DNA somewhere, grieving and wailing was a community event that called upon the natural forces to take the burden and transmute for rebirth. The song of your soul wants to wail, and wants to be heard, validated, recognized and met.
Even if you have not experienced a recent loss, if you have had a lifetime of feeling neglected, holding back the your emotions, your needs, and your wildness, deep down you will need and want this recognition. It’s normal, and it’s natural.
So how does this relate to creativity?
1. When you empty yourself in this way, you become the void. In this dark, vast space, Source has no choice but to refill your being with new life. The loss, the death, in its transmutation, will rebirth itself inside you as NEW, CREATIVE energy.
2. This requires the ultimate surrender, because you will not be in control at this point. You are in the veil between worlds and when you surrender like this, when you have given up Grace can unfold on your behalf. Your mind cannot make sense of this loss, and this is where Spirit wants to LOVE you. God, Source, the Goddess, Creator, The FORCE hears your call, feels your heart and your precious NEED and comes rushing towards you to love you, to hold you, and to lead the way.
3. During major life transitions, it is Spirit that wants to steer the boat for you for awhile, because you cant see where you’re going, you cant see anything but your pain and confusion. Only the purity of your heart and soul can cut though this as you surrender.
4. Your Creative Spirit is rebirthing, and it needs outlets. In this passageway, you may have more energy available to you than you’ve ever had. It wants to be used, it wants to CREATE. If you stifle it, you will prolong the pain, you will create dis-ease in the body, and sickness of the soul. Receive what it wants to teach you, let it show you who you are becoming.
5. Through your art, your song, your writing, your dance, your creations…you arrive in
the safe harbor of Spirit. The ground has turned from water to earth, and you learn how to walk again. You have taken with you the essentials, and all else has been left behind. That which you have grieved, and may continue to grieve, has transformed into new life, has transformed into new ground, has allowed you to move forward, to be more than you were before, to contribute to the world and to make sense of the unexplainable.
This is the passage of Turn Your Broken Heart Into Art. However you are stifling your spirit, this work will allow it to unlock, to release, to grieve, to feel and to take form as life births itself anew inside you.